Thursday, May 21, 2015

From geek girl to the top manager – Business Week

She has been selling software for the million, managed to create their own boss role and feel a burning passion to protect the Nordic countries from privacy violations online. Maria Nordgren is the female IT altitude successor who think it is easy to lead men.

Today, Maria Nordgren Nordic Manager at the Finnish listed cyber security company F-Secure. She is one of the few women who managed to take place and make a career in the IT industry and now she is in Stockholm to give a lecture during the Geek Girl Meet-up at the Museum of Technology.

Nordegren has probably always been a geek. After the study she conducted research on industrial Helsinki Technical University and wrote software for both Volvo and Saab. But when the research project ended, she was at a crossroads. “We were three people in the project and suddenly we had to decide the case we would just let the project die out or if we should start a business. And we knew nothing about starting a business … So we started a company” says Nordgren happily. “We sell software for $ 100, 000 each, but we knew nothing about selling … So I had to be sellers, because I was the least asocial of us all.”

After having run his own company and created stable profits for several years Nordgren felt that it was time to move on. “I did not do the same thing your whole life,” she says. After trying on a few small businesses she found F-Secure and it felt right away. “I quit my job before I got a job at F-Secure. I had an interview there and said I had to go and when my boss then said I had to go right then so I just said me up,” says Nordgren.

When she started at F-Secure she climbed quickly in his career. She rose first in the country manager and were then given different roles in the leading group . There, she told CEO that she thought that the F-Secure should be equally obvious companies in the rest of the Nordic region as they are in Finland. A year later she was Nordenche f – something that can be seen as a step down if you think about traditional career development, but one step closer to the passion of thinking like her.

READ ALSO: board professional who loves rowdy boards

Do you have any career advice?
“First career you can slide back a little more and take on the tasks to be assigned, then when you have got enough respect so you have to start thinking about what you really want to accomplish. I think I have now come so far now that I can pick and choose and make sure I’m really doing something I feel passionate about. “

What is your job now, you feel passionate about?
” I think we have social responsibility within the Nordic region to try to get the Nordic safely. First, to inform ordinary people about security and privacy problems and then protect them.

An example is when Facebook bought Whatsapp for 22 billion dollars, that was not so many who thought about what that means? We research on this and can see that social media like Twitter sells far more information about their users than they can just take from their tweets. The reason they can do this is that Twitter users connect their accounts with their phone number A phone number do you namely a natural person with an address. So they can link the information about where you live with what you have twittered.

Facebook now paid $ 22 billion for Whatsapp is due to the virtual person who logs on Whatsapp with their Facebook account also records their phone number in this app. Ergo, we now know this as much of the natural person who they know about the virtual and without you even noticing it, Facebook has much more information to sell you.

This is what I feel passionate about , it is our responsibility to be advocates for that one should know what one share. If one is aware that everything you do online can be linked to everything you do as an individual, and is okay with everyone know it, then it’s okay. But we have a social responsibility to tell you that this is reality and protect our citizens from these potential identity violation. “

Nordberg and F-Secure are also working actively to attract more women to this otherwise male-dominated industry. “Könfördelningen is hugely distorted.”

Feels the distortions?
“Yes, I agree very presentations at F-Secure, because I’ve always had a very important role in the company. Sometimes when I go of the scene, it is the first comment I get about how nice my hair is … what the hell, excuse me, but no one would ever comment on our president’s hair. He is bald and it’s not like anyone would say, ‘yes, you ‘ve shaved nice day ‘to him after a presentation. The air goes out of me when I get a comment like that. “

How do you deal with that comment then?
“I guess I’m not very good at dealing with such a comment, as I say probably something bitchy because I get so disappointed. I am disappointed that you can not listen to me as a person but listens to me as a woman.”

How does this problem with your subordinates?
“I’ve always had between 50 and 300 subordinates and I must probably still say that there is an advantage that they see that I’m a woman. It is most important is that I care and they assume that I do not just pretend to bother me, but actually doing it for real. They expect that because their mom, sister and wife have bothered them. So it is easy to lead so many men, because they immediately believe me when I say that I care. “

So where is the prejudice to an advantage?
“Really, which one can use them.”

READ ALSO: Sweden’s most powerful business woman turns up and down the structures

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment